Effingham County Probate Court can only issue certified copies of Death Certificates.
Effingham County Probate Court only has copies of residents that have died in a County in Georgia. Please call before coming into the office so we may make sure we can locate your requested certificate. 912-754-2112
Applicant must show proper identification as a realtive and other necessary proof before we are able to issue a certified copy of a death certificate.
Applicant then will be given a form (EFS/Vital Records 2/96) that he or she must fill out.
Fees for copies of Certified Death Certificate:
First copy - $25.00
Additional copies issued at the same time - $5.00
Certified Copies of Death Certificates WITH the cause of Death
Upon completion of a writers request and payment of the fee, the persons or agency representatives that may obtain certified copies of death certificates that contain the cause of death are:
* The spouse, children, parents or other next to kin of the decedent, or
* The legal representatives of the previously described individuals (including funeral directors) or
* Any individual who demonstrates the need for the cause of death to establish a legal right or claim or
* The court, person or entity mentioned in an order or subpoena issued by a court or competent jurisdiction
* Authorized representatives of Federal, State or County government agencies in the conduct to their official
duties (not for personal purposes) or
* Genealogists representing and authorized in writing by a family to obtain copies of records to conduct family
* Researchers authorized by the State Registrar
Certified Copies of Death Certificates WITHOUT the cause of Death
Any person may obtain a certified copy or abstract of a death certificate that does NOT contain the cause of death. However, no certified copy of a death certificate can be issued until the person seeking a copy completes a written request and pays the applicable Vital Record fee.
We can not issue any uncertified copies of a vital record.